Cats at Castle Combe

Posted on Updated on

As many will know, the world which exists over 3000 r.p.m is rarely visited by me! However, it’s always good to see Jaguars in full flight and the spectacle of pre 1996 ‘Cats’ at Castle Combe, last month, would have been worth seeing indeed!

Thanks to JEC for the link.

Paul Gough

Jowett Javelin

Posted on Updated on

Most  of us would love to have a Jowett Javelin in our garage. Last month one such was auctioned at Baron’s with a history to go with it. It was purchased by Brian May of Queen, for his father in 1982 .  After his Dad passed away, the car has sat in dry storage to date. Proceeds from the sale will go to the badger charity Save Me Trust.

Take a look

Paul Gough

Did you know?

Posted on Updated on

The Daimler Conquest of 1953 was so named because it was priced at £1066, the date of the Norman Invasion of England, while the 1954 Daimler Century was so called because of its 100bhp engine.

The first permanently enforced one-way street was applied to Mare Street, Hackney, London in 1924. There were no recognised one-way road signs at the time and so a banner was suspended across the road declaring “One Way Traffic – No Road This Way”

Paul Gough

Tech Tips

Posted on Updated on


A torque wrench is an important part of any tool kit. Treat it with care and use it often. Manufactures don’t list torque figures for nothing!

When you’ve finished, always ‘unwind’ the wrench returning it to zero. It will stay more accurate for longer, if you do!

When doing your under bonnet checks, cast a glance at the air vent in the master cylinder cap(s). The vent hole allows air in to replace falling fluid levels. If this becomes blocked a ‘spongy’ pedal will result.

Some caps incorporate a rubber bladder, which limits air contact with the fluid, as the mineral based fluid absorbs water from the air (hydroscopic).

Paul Gough.


Why anti-freeze is an ‘all year round thing’.

Posted on

Anti-freeze does more than ‘what is says on the tin’. It’s an anti-corrosive too. Get it wrong and trouble is around the corner.

Traditional blue ethylene glycol is toxic but a highly effective antifreeze; it contains silicates as an inhibitor to help prevent corrosion in engines with mixed metals in their makeup. Bluecol and Blue Star are well known brand names, both are declared suitable for ‘classic cars’ on their company websites.

Propylene glycol is another well-known and less toxic antifreeze formula and usually contains silicates.

Recently, problems have been reported concerning the use of antifreeze mixtures using organic acid technology (OAT). OAT was introduced in the mid-1990s and the products are biodegradable, recyclable, do not contain either silicates or phosphates and are designed to be longer lasting. However, these products do seem to cause problems in older engines.

Over and above the ability of antifreeze to find the smallest crevice and leak, OAT antifreezes have been accused of destroying seals and gaskets and causing a great deal of damage in ‘old’ engines. For this reason, the manufacturers do not recommend their use in historic vehicles. These products are usually coloured red, pink or orange.

Another category is HOAT. These products use hybrid organic acid technology in an ethylene glycol base with some silicates in the formulation alongside the organic corrosion inhibitors. The product is usually coloured green and is not recommended for use in historic vehicles. FBHVC is still researching this problem but its current advice is:

Only use blue coloured IAT antifreeze in historic vehicles. Only use OAT products (‘advanced’ or ‘long life’ antifreeze) if the vehicle used it when new and if specifically directed by the vehicle’s manufacturer

Never mix different types of antifreeze without thoroughly flushing out the system

The above article is courtesy of Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC).

See Classic Chat, November 2016 for more information.

Paul Gough

Car Auction Update

Posted on Updated on

Car Auctions
The first car auction at SRS will be held on Saturday 25th March 2017.
Paul Gough

Car Auction

Posted on Updated on

Tyre Kicking

For those of us who enjoy ‘tyre kicking’ (the harmless pastime of looking at cars for sale without a serious intention of making a purchase) a treat is in store!

SRS Vehicle Services (, of Los Carasoles near Arboleas, are holding monthly car auctions on the last Saturday on each month. Entries are open to the public at a 0% commission to sellers.

So, dust off your Glasses Guide and look like a motor trader. See you there!
Paul Gough

New Classics

Posted on Updated on

Austin 8 1941
Austin 8 1941

Mazda Eunos MX5 1992
Mazda Eunos MX5 1992


Guess what? Two members have splashed out on classics, but to whom do they belong? Get the full story in March’s Classic Chat.

Paul Gough.

Huercal Overa Classic Car Meet

Posted on


Ruby Goes to Town

Ruby, Barry Dennis’ MGBGT was snapped by EWN when she was ‘out on the town’ with other fillies at the classic car meeting in Huercal Overa on 29th January.

Also, enjoying the limelight was Joel Darget’s MG TF. Many other club members attended.

Press cutting from Euro Weekly News via Barry Dennis. Words by Paul Gough.

Driving with a UK Licence.

Posted on

Hi, before I go onto pastures new and leave the blog in other capable hands. I thought I would post this, that I came across on the NN32 site. Self Explanatory-and informative. Thank you to all that contributed to the blog over the last year.




We are constantly being asked to clarify the situation regarding driving with a UK licence whilst in Spain, amid conflicting reports and rumour, and so we thought it prudent to share with you the official guidelines as dictated by the DGT.

Firstly, let us say that if you are a resident in Spain, that is to say you spend more time living in this country than another, it makes sense to change your licence to a Spanish one anyway, as this then links to your personal details on the computers accessed by traffic police, and so, in the event of getting stopped, you can be on your way far quicker. Similarly, if you happen to have been fined, you don´t have to pay the fine on the spot if you have a valid Spanish licence.Secondly, it is a lot easier to exchange your licence these days.

Many clinics which handle the medical examination will also do the administration for you at the same time. All you have to do is present yourself for your appointment, with your licence, and they will complete all of the paper work, sending it to the traffic department, and even chasing it on your behalf if it doesn´t arrive back in time. They even issue the temporary driving permit.
However, we still need to answer your questions, such as “can I be fined if I have a valid UK driving licence?”
The answer is YES, if you are RESIDENT and your licence complies with one of these two cases:
The holder of a European driving licence with an INDEFINITE DURATION or GREATER than 15 YEARS (or five years in the case of group permissions 2) with legal residence in Spain acquired on January 19, 2013 or before that date – You must renew your driving licence from January 19, 2015.
The holder of a European driving licence with an INDEFINITE DURATION or GREATER than 15 YEARS (or five years in the case of group permissions 2) with legal residence in Spain obtained dated after January 19, 2013 – You must renew your driving licence from the moment two years of residence in Spain has been met.

In order to check this, you must look at the BACK of the licence, where you will see the expiration dates for each of the categories.

If you are not a resident, on holiday for example, you cannot be fined for driving with a valid UK licence, however there are some circumstances where an officer might doubt that you are in fact on holiday. For example, if is perfectly legal for you to own a holiday home in Spain, and even a Spanish car to use whilst you are here, but that might make it appear that you are a resident driving on a UK licence. The solution to this is simple, you can get an EX-15 form from the National Police, also available to download from, complete the form and take it to be certified by the police and that then serves as a certificate of non-residency.